44 Martin Place is a State significant heritage item. Designed by Bates, Smart & McCutcheon and constructed in 1938 for the MLC, the building is considered to be one of Sydney’s finest commercial buildings of the Interwar period.
Whilst substantially intact externally, the building had undergone substantial internal alteration over time, including the relocation of the original boardroom into a later addition, the relocation of the lift core and the removal of the light well.
Weir Phillips Heritage and Planning worked with HASSELL architects during an extensive programme to achieve a 4 Star Green Star Design.
The works included the construction of a new two storey pavilion on the roof; restoration of the stonework; replacement of the windows; the re-design of the main entrance foyer; the re-introduction of a light well with stairs connecting the upper level; and a base built re-fit of the upper levels.
Weir Phillips Heritage and Planning supported this development through the initial design phases, consultation with the City of Sydney and Heritage NSW, DA approval and construction. Reports produced included a Conservation Management Plan (endorsed by Heritage NSW); Heritage Impact Statements; an Interpretation Strategy and Plan; Photographic Archival recordings; and reports for certification.